Profiles in Gratitude: Casper Kuczek and Mr. Ward

Senior Casper Kuczek would like to thank his public speaking and film teacher, Mr. Ward for helping him to gain confidence in his speaking and film-making abilities, as well as for creating an open and accepting environment for self-expression.

Kuczek attributes his enjoyment of Mr. Ward’s classes to his relaxed and open curriculum, which gave him artistic freedom. Kuczek explains, “A lot of teachers follow a set curriculum and they follow it to a ‘t’, and it creates a really rigid class structure which doesn’t allow for a lot of student character to shine through, whereas public speaking is completely about your character. And the film class all about self-expression. It’s about student-made films, so you get to create films with your friends.” With his film class, Mr. Ward is very laid back and allows his students to create what they are drawn to. Kuczek continues, saying, “Mr. Ward is very relaxed and open with how the curriculum works. He follows it more on due dates than essential guidelines. He doesn’t force you to create a film in a specific way.”

According to Kuczek, Mr. Ward is also an incredibly engaging teacher: “Public speaking is a semester course, but I can still vividly remember almost every class period: what we were doing, what [Mr. Ward] taught us.” Furthermore, Kuczek found Mr. Ward to be an incredibly dedicated teacher. Kuczek recalls, “He goes above and beyond as a teacher. He will stay after school if he needs to if you need more help. He is super understanding and an all-around nice guy.”

Kuczek will take the lessons he learned in public speaking and in film class with Mr. Ward with him as he moves on from WMMHS. Kuczek is enlisting in Marine Corp after high school. He says “a lot of the lessons, specifically the techniques he’s taught us for being more confident in speaking and being a more outward person in your speeches, those have stuck with me” and will continue to guide him beyond high school.

On behalf of Casper Kuczek, The Patriot thanks Mr. Ward for making his classes places of artistic expression and self-discovery, and for being selfless with his time and knowledge, during and after school hours.

As the school year comes to a close, it is becoming time to say goodbye to the Class of 2019. The Patriot is asking seniors to thank their favorite teachers for making their high school career more enjoyable. If you’re a senior looking to thank one of your teachers, email [email protected].