Artist of The Week: Taine Brennan, Photographer

Madeline Girardin and Mercedes Lombardo

Every year at Mendham we host a day dedicated to a young man by the name of Welles Crowther that died on the 9/11 attacks. During those first few weeks, seniors read and analyze the book The Red Bandana and have a commemorative day when Mrs. Crowther comes to the school and afterward we hold the Red Bandana football game. If you remember well there was a big piece of artwork hanged by the wall outside the auditorium. That piece of art was a picture taken and edited by a senior at Mendham, it is impressive the amount of detail in it. This was done with a little help from one of the art teachers to help perfect the picture. The student that made and took that picture was the senior Taine Brennan.

Taine started photography around two years ago when his dad’s best friend’s older son inspired him to start. He 

showed him photography and he got inspired by it and he started taking pictures. Day by day his photography skills improve and he even had some of his photography displayed in an art gallery called ‘Blackwell’ in his junior year, where many schools and people entered the competition. He not only got his work accepted there but won first place in digital photography. At first, he used to take a lot of pictures surrounding nature, as can be seen to the right. This is the picture that he is most proud of. However, now he is moving away from only taking pictures of nature and he is starting to take portrait pictures. “Now I’m focusing on portraiture and taking photos of people” he explained.

For each of his pictures that he takes, he spends the time to edit each of them and make them look perfect. He also mentions that he sees an improvement in his new pictures, mentioning that he focuses more on his subjects and “finding the right angles”. Taine takes about an hour to do a photoshoot and sometimes it only takes 30 minutes if he’s taking pictures when he is walking and an idea pops up in his head. He tries to take pictures every day, but sometimes he is busy but he always tries to leave space for his passion and take pictures at least three days a week.

Taine is looking for art colleges that have photography because he definitely wants to pursue a career in photography and films since he is very passionate about both. Taine also has an Instagram account that is dedicated to all his wonderful work. You can follow him at @tbrennan_photography and follow his amazing journey in photography, you will not regret following him. You can contact him if you need a photo shoot or even if you would like to buy a print of one of his pictures!

(Photo credits to Taine Brennan)