The Best College in the Top 5 Most Populated States

Lindsay Kupka, Staff Writer

California, 39.56 million people –  Stanford University

Pullquote Photo

A place for learning, discovery, innovation, expression, and discourse

— Stanford Website

As the most populated state in the country, California is home to many amazing schools. Stanford University is one of the most prestigious schools in the country, and overall in the world. To attend Stanford, prospective students must get past the 5% acceptance rate with outstanding grades, test scores, and extracurricular activities. Any student at Stanford would agree that the work will be well worth it just to be part of the Stanford community. Stanford’s most popular programs are Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services, Engineering, Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies, Social Sciences, and Physical Sciences. Stanford also has a 98% freshman retention rate, meaning that freshmen are very satisfied with Stanford and do not want to go anywhere else.  Stanford is described as a place for “learning, discovery, innovation, expression, and discourse” and displays their academic prestige with their notable alumni, mathematical and scientific breakthroughs, and exemplary administrative and executive policies in the world (Stanford University – about). 

Texas, 28.7 million people – Rice University

Because Texas is the second most populated state in the United States, it has an enormous variety of colleges and universities. However, the most competitive school in Texas is Rice University. Rice University in Houston, Texas is a private, prestigious university with an acceptance rate of 15%. Rice is one of the top 5 private universities in the United States and has a beautiful, 300 acre, tree-lined campus in the heart of Houston. Rice is well known for its engineering, music, architecture, nanotechnology, and has one of the best material science programs in the country. 

New York, 8.5 million people – Columbia University

Columbia University

Columbia University is the oldest institution of higher learning in New York and was established in 1754. Columbia is also the fifth oldest institution in the United States. Columbia has an acceptance rate of 7% and a very high graduation rate of 95%. As a member of the Ivy League, Columbia University is a highly prestigious school located in New York City, specifically in Upper Manhattan. Because it is in New York City, Columbia “seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis and […] attract a diverse and international faculty and student body” (Columbia University ).  The most popular majors at Columbia are Social Sciences, Engineering, Computer, Information Sciences and Support Services, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, and Psychology.

Florida, 21.3 million people –  University of Florida

The population of Florida is 21.3 million and along with many different types of people, Florida is also home to a wide variety of colleges. The University of Florida is a public university located in Gainesville, Florida. At the University of Florida, they are “people of purpose” and strive to improve the community and the world around them. UF offers an amazing campus in sunny and warm Florida and has an outstanding athletic program. Their football and basketball teams, along with many different sports teams, are continually ranked nationally in the top 20, or higher. The most popular areas of study at UF are Engineering; Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Social Sciences; and Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs.

Pennsylvania, 12.81 million people – University of Pennsylvania 

The University of Pennsylvania is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Notable alumni of UPenn include Elon Musk, John Legend, Elizabeth Banks, and Tory Burch.

Pullquote Photo

Diversity is not only a public good—it is also very good for Penn. Our quest for eminence depends on great minds that represent a wide array of perspectives and backgrounds.

— Amy Gutman

l

The University of Pennsylvania is an Ivy League school and has an acceptance rate of 5%. Diversity is essential to Penn and its president, Amy Gutman, stated the importance of it at the university when she said that “Diversity is not only a public good—it is also very good for Penn. Our quest for eminence depends on great minds that represent a wide array of perspectives and backgrounds.” The most popular areas of study at Penn are Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services, Social Sciences, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Engineering, and Health Professions and Related Programs.