Climbing Haystack Mountain

Erica Niehoff and her sister at Lake Placid Over The Summer, Photo Credit: Erica Niehoff

Marty Mahoney, Writer

Over the summer a West Morris Mendham High School student, Erica Niehoff, climbed Haystack Mountain. Haystack Mountain, located in Lake Placid, New York, is the third tallest mountain in the Adirondacks and has an elevation of 4,960 feet. The mountain’s height presents a big enough challenge as it is, but Erica Niehoff was tasked with climbing the mountain the day after it rained which made the task’s conditions less than desirable. 

Erica Niehoff and her family went to Lake Placid over this past summer, and her family, which is very inclined to do things outdoors, planned on hiking the mountain. When asked about whether or not this was her first hike Erica responded, “My sister dragged me into it, so I’ve definitely been on many hikes before.” 

Before the hike Erica was unsure about whether she wanted to go on the hike or not due to the weather conditions from the previous day. When asked if she had any nerves before going on the hike she said, “Definitely. If anything I was asking my sister if she should go. I knew she really wanted to go, so I was like whatever ok.” So then the hike began, and the conditions were definitely a factor; Erica explained that, “Well the trails were really rocky, and there was extreme incline. So it was really dangerous, and was pretty muddy at times.” 

“When you’re in a moment like when you get to the top of a mountain you don’t keep track of time. Me and my sister agreed the best part of the hike was reaching the top.”

— Erica Niehoff

Erica completed the hike in, “maybe 2 hours”. Erica wasn’t focused on the time but more on the journey up the mountain. When she got to the top and got to look at the view she said, “When you’re in a moment like when you get to the top of a mountain you don’t keep track of time. Me and my sister agreed the best part of the hike was reaching the top and we sat there for a while and had some sandwiches.” 

She enjoyed the hike very much but when asked about doing the hike she said, “I never really like hiking the same place twice… I like more casual hikes, that was a little intense for me.”