Best Eateries in Mendham-Chester Area

Hope Hanson, Staff Writer

Best Breakfast Place: Chester Bagel
The Chester Bagel & Deli, located on Main Street in Chester, has “mastered the ratio of egg to cheese to meat,” says WMMHS sophomore Jack Kelly. With a wide range of breakfast sandwiches to choose from, Chester Bagel has something for everyone.

Best Lunch Place: The Wicker Basket
A delicatessen in Mendham, The Wicker Basket is incredibly popular, especially with students. “I enjoy walking there after school with my friends,” says Catherine Grasso, a freshman at West Morris Mendham. While The Wicker Basket is a deli, the menu doesn’t only offer sandwiches. Other items, like chicken fingers and tater tots, are also available. If you’re looking for a good place to grab a quick bite for lunch, then this is the perfect choice.

Best Dinner Place: The Black Horse Tavern
The Black Horse Tavern, founded in the 1700s, is still one of the most popular restaurants in Mendham today. The wide-variety menu offers everything from salads to seafood to burgers; WMMHS junior Luke Maguire recommends the tavern’s burgers. But whatever the occasion, and whatever you’re in the mood for, The Black Horse Tavern is the perfect place.

Best Pizza Parlor: New York Pizza
Situated on Main Street in Chester, New York Pizza serves some of the best pizza in Chester/Mendham. It’s not just a pizza place, though; New York Pizza also offers sit-down dining for wonderful Italian food. Serving calzones, pasta, and sandwiches alongside their pizza, New York Pizza is the perfect option for Italian cuisine.

Best Ice Cream Shop: Taylor’s Ice Cream Parlor
Taylor’s Ice Cream Parlor, also located on Main Street in Chester, has a wide variety of flavors. The choices include hard ice cream, soft serves, ices, and more. “The staff is really nice and considerate, as well,” says Ann Hoye, a WMMHS freshman. With plenty of seating inside and a warm atmosphere, Taylor’s is the perfect place to enjoy a frozen treat.