Mendham’s Favorite Vacation Spots

Image courtesy of usatoday.com

Adeline Perkins, Freelance Writer

Much of our lives is up in the air right now, but one thing is for certain: we all miss “normal” life! However, with the development of three effective vaccines and 118 million doses already distributed (npr.org), it’s looking like we may reach “normal” pretty soon. To keep your hopes up and give you something to look forward to, I surveyed students in Mendham’s Journalism Club about their favorite travel destinations. Here is a list of four student-recommended vacation spots for you to add to your post-COVID bucket list.

St. Lucia. Known as a giant melting pot of English, French, Dutch, African and Caribbean culture, St. Lucia is a gorgeous island located in the Caribbean Sea. If you’re into sea sports, try one of St. Lucia’s twenty-two divings spots. In addition to viewing bright fish and corals, some even offer the chance to explore sunken ships! Or, walk along the ocean floor with St. Lucia’s Helmet Diving! Of course, St. Lucia’s long stretches of spectacular beaches are perfect for a day of relaxation.

Image courtesy of stlucia.org

If you’re a nature person, try hiking the Piton Mountains or ziplining above the rainforest. Or, explore the many trails and waterfalls in Central St. Lucia!

The small island is also known for its delicious food. If you’re interested in cuisine and want to know what Caribbean food is all about, St. Lucia is a great place to start. They serve everything from seafood to barbeque to pizza due to their unique blend of culture (stlucia.org).

Denver, Colorado. Called the “Mile High City”, Colorado’s capital is fun to visit any time of year. In the winter, visit “Ice Castles”, an attraction made entirely of professionally hand-placed icicles. Walk through icy tunnels, see frozen thrones and fly down slides made of ice. Beginners and experts alike will also enjoy skiing and snowboarding at famous resorts in the Rocky Mountains, which also offer ski, snowshoe and snowboard tours.

In the summer, bike around the city on its one hundred and ninety-six miles of bike lanes. Or try riverside bike trails. If you’re into music, keep a lookout for your favorite bands performing at Red Rocks Park & Amphitheatre. The amphitheatre is the only natural one of its kind in the world! Enjoy a gorgeous view of the red sandstone mountains while listening to your favorite artists perform.

Red Rocks, courtesy of denver.org

Any time of year, visit one of Denver’s museums, like the Museum of Nature and Science to learn about everything from space to dinosaurs. Denver is also home to the Molly Brown House, a museum teaching about the life of the activist and Titanic survivor Margaret Brown (biography.com).

As an added bonus, you don’t need to worry about healthy eating in Denver! The massive city is surrounded by farmland, so fresh food and farmers’ markets are in abundance! For exciting adventures all year long, add the “Mile High City” to your travel bucket list! (denver.org).

Costa Rica. If you have any interest in animals or nature, Costa Rica’s large accumulation of each is definitely a reason to travel there! According to visitcostarica.com, approximately five million birds of different species travel through Costa Rica each year. See crocodiles, brightly colored frogs, and baby sea turtles hatching on beaches across the country. Or, dive into the water and hang out with the 6,700 different species of marine life, 90 of which are unique to Costa Rica.

Image courtesy of govisitcostarica.com

This beautiful country is also full of exciting adventurers for every kind of thrill seeker. It boasts hikes through rainforests and around waterfalls, and guided horseback rides through Costa Rican towns and forests. If you’re looking to spend your vacation in the trees, Costa Rica has got you covered. Walk on suspension bridges that allow tourists to see magnificent rainforests from high above. Costa Rica is also famous for its rappel and zipline tours, where travellers can glide throughout the rainforests’ trees and plethora of rivers.

If flying over those roaring rivers isn’t enough for you, then try rafting or kayaking in Costa Rica’s assortment of calm or raging waters. The country’s beaches also offer opportunities for relaxing canoe rides, where visitors are taken past areas of colored sand and unique vegetation (visitcostarica.com).

Iceland. Formed by ages of natural weathering and exposure to the elements, Iceland has some of the most incredible natural beauty in the world. If you’ve ever heard of Aurora Borealis, or the Northern Lights, and are interested in experiencing the magical phenomenon, Iceland has some of the best conditions for viewing it due to its dark winters. The island also has hotels that offer Northern Lights wake-up services and skilled excursion leaders that know how to hunt down the dancing green lights.

Image courtesy of visiticeland.com

During the day, Iceland’s extensive hiking trails and tours are also really popular, like the world-renowned Laugavegur trail. According to visiticeland.com, more than half of the country is made up of mountains, and the landscape is covered in glaciers, colorful mountains, fields of lava, springs, black sands and water, creating exciting, diverse trails for every kind of hiker. Many mountain trails also have huts available for booking, so adventurers can take their time in paradise and explore the various destinations in full.

Iceland is also a place of science and geography. Located on top of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, Iceland is one of the most volcanically active places in the world. Also, the country boasts that about 90% of its housing is heated by geothermal energy, one of the cleanest and cheapest energy sources available to mankind. Their subglacial volcanoes and hot springs also provide water for potential hydroelectric power. The lack of pollution in Iceland makes it a clean, gorgeous travel destination.

I hope this is helpful and hopeful! Remember to stay safe so we can get back to normal as soon as possible!