How is Covid-19 Affecting Girls Volleyball?

Keith A. Muccilli | For NJ Advan

Image Courtesy of NJ.com

Emma Stark, Staff Writer

After defeating Wayne Valley in two sets, the girls’ varsity volleyball team secured their first state title and ended with a 28-6 record last season. This year the coronavirus has affected schools and their sports teams around the nation. Mendham High School volleyball received difficult news from the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association this past summer. As of August 20th, the NJSIAA officially postponed girls’ volleyball to “Season 3” of the academic school year. The association established a revision to the 2020-2021 volleyball season due to indoor health restrictions. Practices will begin February 16, 2021, while regular-season competition will occur from March 3 to April 14. As stated on NJ.com, “teams will be limited to two matches per week and 14 total, according to the current guidelines.” 

Not only does this decision affect school volleyball teams around New Jersey, but other volleyball club organizations as well. Clubs, such as Garden State Elite Volleyball who normally have their girls’ travel season scheduled to run from November to April, May, or even June depending upon the team. Under the given circumstances, the club has shortened the season to end in early March and later resume after the high school season for interested players. This allows their players to participate in both school and club seasons without conflict.

According to patch.com, NJ Governor, Phill Murphy, signed an executive order last Monday allowing “the resumption of contact practices and competitions in indoor settings for organized sports defined as medium risk and high risk.” Volleyball, classified as a medium risk sport, does apply to this order, yet because of the NJSIAA revised schedule, it does not look like Mendham girls volleyball will be commencing this year.