Changes To The ACT You Should Know About

Corinne LoVecchio, Staff Writer

For over 50 years, the ACT has issued its standardized tests including all four subjects- English, math, reading, and science. Including the written essay, the total time allotted to take the test is 3 hours and 35 minutes. Now, if it is your first time taking the ACT, sitting through the entire duration of the test putting forth maximum effort is imperative. However, if you’re like me who took the ACT 3 different occasions only to fall short of her desired superscore, this may not be so sensible.

Recently, the ACT has made two very major changes to their test which will most definitely be advantageous to upcoming test takers. Starting September 2020, next year students will have the option to retake individual sections of the college entrance exam instead of the entire exam, making it easier for test-takers to college to submit a higher score. So, for example, if a student was satisfied with their reading score but wanted to improve their math, they would have the opportunity to come in to take only the ACT math section.

For the ACT to make individual section testing an option is a huge deal and a real game-changer for standardized testing. From my personal experience, I know that having myself planted in a desk for nearly 4 hours in some random boring classroom takes a big toll on my attention span. Not only that, but I know what it feels like to lose steam while zooming through the sections. On the ACT test, the reading section is first, which means the second you open the dreadful packet, you’re stuck reading 4 tedious passages as well as answering reading comprehension questions. However, as time ticks and sections pass, I tend to find myself mentally drained by the final section, which is science. As somebody who’s never been the strongest in math, improving my overall math composite score has always been a personal goal of mine while taking the ACT. I think that if I had the opportunity to open the packet and immediately be able to tackle the math, my general focus and attention throughout the test would be much better.

However, for students like myself who have already committed to college, we’re not missing out too much. The ACT board states that according to research conducted, ACT scores for students who take individual section tests are consistent with those earned when they take the entire test. So, JUST taking the math section of the ACT won’t magically make you knowledgeable of more math skills, but it can be really helpful for kids who work better using a different strategy.

Not only has ACT introduced individual section testing, but they will also be giving students the option to either take the test online or on paper.  So, no more sweaty and crampy hands! And- no more getting up during breaks to sharpen pencils because they keep breaking. Plus, students who opt to take the test electronically will actually receive their test results faster- in two days as opposed to two weeks. This is SUPER helpful during the college application process, as applying for colleges should not be delayed due to the irritating process of waiting for standardized test scores. In addition, the ACT will also automatically calculate and provide a “superscore” for students who take the test more than once. The so-called “superscore” allows students to take their best sectional scores from every time they took the ACT to help guide their admission and scholarship decisions. Not only that, but the risk of taking the test online significantly diminishes the chances of messing up the scantron, whether it be poorly marking a bubble, or misaligning all of your answers, all decrease significantly with the online alternative. Furthermore, students who either don’t have very legible handwriting or have difficulty handwriting an essay for a long period of time will have a much better experience with the essay section being able to type their responses electronically on a computer. However, as of now, we do not know the exact date in which this will go into effect, or if this option will be offered to everyone or only select groups. For all we know, this alternative could only apply to certain individuals with accommodations that qualify. 

I think it’s safe to say that the ACT, although it is tedious, has been very accommodating and considerate to the students with the changes it has proposed. (*cough* SAT take notes!) Personally, I think that being able to take the ACT with these changes in effect would have helped me a lot, but I’m happy for the students who will be able to utilize these accommodations to make both the standardized testing and the college application process much easier.