First Annual Mendham Rec Basketball Coaches Charity Classic

Ren Powers, Associate Editor

When the gym lights go on and the classic white and blue pennys hit the floor, rec basketball is in full swing and everybody knows it. This is the first season in which every single team will be run by youth coaches instead of adults. This has been adding energy to all of the games and Mendham Rec Basketball has never been more popular.

With seeing their coaches almost three times a week and constant scrimmages between coaches and players, the players are demanding to see the coaches play in their own game and their wish has been granted.

On March 13th, the match of the century will be taking place. Team Mendham Township will be facing team Mendham Boro for the first annual Mendham Rec Basketball Coaches Charity Classic trophy. The event will be taking place at Mendham Township Middle School at 8:30 pm in the bleacher gym. The speakers will be set up and the PA system will be booming just like a professional game.

“Oh yeah, you can put it in the books now. I don’t care where they play. We are bigger, we are more experienced, and we just want it more. Final score is gonna be 44-38. You heard it here first.

— Will Chasin

Who will win though? It is very hard to tell. Some would argue the Mendham Boro squad has the advantage. This is because six out of the seven members play for the Mendham High School basketball team. They are in season and are constantly playing against some of the best players in the state. However, you can not count out the Mendham Township team. For what they lack in ability they make up for in experience. The Mendham Township coaches combined have a record of 23-12 while the Mendham Boro coaches hold a combined record of 11-21. Looking at these stats some would argue despite a lack of High School Basketball experience, the Mendham Township crew knows the game better. Not to mention the team has a two year age advantage on the younger Mendham Boro team.

“It’s not even an argument. We all play basketball everyday at the highest level. When was the last time any of the township guys played any competitive basketball. 8th grade? It’s been three years. Three years means a lot. This game is ours.

— Brian Jamer

The Mendham Township vs. Mendham Boro has been a heated rivalry and both towns are constantly arguing who is superior. Despite the spirit of competition this event is going to be great for the community and bring both towns together. All people attending are being asked to bring a donation of 5$ to the event. The money being collected will be donated to a charity of the winning team’s choice. So make your way out to MTMS this March 13th and root for your town and favorite coaches!