Inaugurating in Style

Kamala Harris, Jill Biden, Michelle Obama, and Amanda Gorman’s stunning outfits. Photo courtesy of VanityFair.

Anjali Shah, Staff Writer

Following the inauguration on the afternoon of the 20th, fashion rather than politics seemed to be the talk of the event. Michelle Obama, Jill Biden, Kamala Harris, Amanda Gorman, and Ella Emhoff were seen in some of the most stunning outfits. 

The internet loved Amanda Gorman all around. Gorman is the National Youth Poet Laureate and the youngest inaugural poet. Gorman was seen in a bright yellow Miuccia Prada coat and red Prada headband (NPR). Gorman told Vogue that “the yellow was her way of paying homage to first lady Jill Biden.” According to NPR, Gorman viewed a video where Jill Biden was wearing yellow and pulled her inspiration for her outfit from that video. 

Ella Emhoff has been the talk of the event. Only 20 years old, Emhoff is a Parson’s design student and the stepdaughter of Kamala Harris. NPR reported that she wore a Batsheva dress, which was a deep burgundy color, with the collar from her Miu Miu coat on top (CNN). Emhoff’s outfit blew up on Instagram, many praising her chic look. 

Michelle Obama’s long-time stylist took to Instagram to inform her audience about the meaning behind Michelle’s look. According to Insider, Michelle Obama was seen with a “monochrome look comprised of pants, a sweater, belt, and jacket that were all created by American designer Sergio Hudson.” Her beautiful matching set clearly attracted the eyes of the media and the public. Obama’s stylist, Meredith Koop, wanted her to look modern and chic, as well as having the look be practical. For this reason, Obama wore pants. 

Jill Biden’s look was one of the most iconic of the afternoon. Her bright blue jacket and dress were “designed with inspiration from new administration’s message of unity, says the designer Gabriela Hearst” (CNN). CNN’s Kate Bennett described that Biden’s coat “featured embroidered flowers representing every state and territory, each flower taking approximately two hours to apply. The coat also has an embroidered quote from Benjamin Franklin on the lining, an homage to Biden’s career as a teacher.” 

Kamala Harris supports the theme of unity through her royal purple look. Purple in the has been known as a metaphor for bipartisanship, as it is a combination of both the Democratic blue and Republican red. Her look was styled by Black designers Christopher John Rogers and Sergio Hudson, most likely to highlight her background and to display this monumental moment in history. 

Besides the inspiring speeches and strong leadership present at the inauguration, the ladies clearly demonstrated power and unity through their gorgeous choices of clothing.