Golden: Takeaways from Harry Styles’ Most Recent Music Video

Image courtesy of The Daily Mail

Image courtesy of The Daily Mail

Annie Shafran, Editor in Chief

Harry Styles released a new music video on October 26th for his first song off of his sophomore album, Fine Line. Debuting on December 13th, 2019, Style’s second album rocketed to success, just like his predecessors. 

Nearly a year after releasing Fine Line, Harry Styles was seen filming a music video for “Golden” in Italy. As of October 30th, the video was #25 trending on YouTube, with more than 27 million views. When asked about the inspiration for the “delightfully carefree” video (as described by The DiamondBack), by the Rolling Stones, Styles explained that, “[“Golden” was] one of the first songs when I was making the album and it’s always been a source of joy for me. And I wanted to make a video that encapsulated that.”

The song emits perfect energy to just drive, “down the coast, that is what the song is for. It feels so Malibu to me,” Styles explained in an interview with Vogue. In the same interview, he further his point by saying that “Golden”, “was like the perfect PCH [Pacific Coast Highway] song.” And when playing the song, it is undeniable: You want to get in the car, roll the windows down, and blast “Golden” as loud as you possibly can. 

The music video on a whole carried this energy throughout it, constantly feeling like fun and just an overall,

Image Courtesy of Capital FM

good time. When watching the video, the joy on Styles’ face, and depicted by his mannerisms are absolutely contagious. It is incredibly hard not to find immense joy from the simple three minute-thirty second video.

In a stark contrast from his previous videos from the ‘Fine Line Era”, like “Lights Up” and “Watermelon Sugar” (both featuring large casts), no other actors apart from Styles himself are featured. Some may believe that the individualistic nature would be a sign of the pandemic. However, it’s not his first solo video, referring to the 2017 video for “Sign of the Times,” which debuted years prior to the coronavirus. It seems almost poetic that his most recent music video as a solo artist and his first video as a solo artist is focusing just Styles’, alone with himself and his emotions. However, unlike “Sign of the Times,” which has a very somber and saddening tone to it, “Golden” shows another side of Styles, depicting a newer, much happier, and free Styles. These two videos truly show how far Styles has come as both an artist, and a person. 

Now, what would a Harry Styles music video be without some fashion takeaways? Each outfit was in line with the rejection of toxic masculinity fans are acquainted with, fitting with his unique style. One of the main stylists on the scene was Steven Stokey-Daley. He is a London-based designer who lent Styles’ several pieces from his “Conscious Graduate Collection” for the video’s wardrobe.

Overall, the aesthetic of the video is about printed Bode shorts and louche separates, don’t worry. Styles has not abandoned his signature Gucci tailoring. The musician is featured in a turquoise blazer and tartan flares, contrasting against a blazing orange sunset backdrop. Beauty. 

And when playing the song, it is undeniable: You want to get in the car, roll the windows down, and blast “Golden” as loud as you possibly can. 

Something that fans were very eager to get an update on was Harry Styles’s luscious locks. He was seen through quarantine rocking a wide array of both hairstyles and different forms of facial hair. People were excited to see what Styles’ hair would look like. And there was no disappointment there. Harry showed up in the video with gorgeous, floppy-hair, curls illuminating the screen (they’re so golden). Sadly, Styles’ recently cut his hair for an upcoming role he has in the upcoming Olivia Wilde film, Don’t Worry Darling. But luckily, the stunning lockdown locks are forever immortalized in the “Golden” video. 

The “Golden” music video was greatly well received by fans everywhere. People are hoping to get the video to 30 million views soon. 

All in all, the “Golden” music video was exactly what people needed as the Coronavirus drags on. Bring some light and joy back into people’s hearts with every smile he bears, Harry Styles can never disappoint. 

“Golden” music video is available on YouTube now