The Mighty Sound of Mendham

Image courtesy of the WMMHSmusic.weebly.com

Amelia Payne, Staff Writer

Mendham High school has an assortment of activities students can get involved in after school. However, due to the coronavirus, many restrictions such as social distancing and masks have forced sport and music activities to change the way they work. Specifically, the Mendham marching band has had to cut back band camp, restrict the number of games they perform at, and distance themselves both emotionally and physically from other marching band members. 

A common grievance against the covid restrictions this year was the loss of in-person competitions and away games. The marching band was able to travel with the football team to their games last year, to perform before the shows and serve as a pep band for the rest of the game. Due to covid restrictions this year, the marching band is only able to play and perform at home games, and cannot sit in the bleachers. Lana Fagan, a flute player, says that “you used to be able to turn around and talk to the people behind you and the people in front of you”, and marching band students in the stands could interact and form friendships. This has hindered students’ ability to form bonds with others throughout the marching band. Vivian Young, the color guard captain, says that last year’s marching band was “more like a social activity as well as a school activity since we had more downtime to just hang out”. The loss of time together and the loss of closer interactions between members of the marching band has changed how the Mendham marching band works.

Mrs. Sulich’s words can be used to summarize the learning experience the students and coaches can take away from this overall very different experience. Mrs. Sulich, the marching band director says “I think that being grateful for the time we get to rehearse”, and that the marching band, as every after-school activity should, learn to value the time they have so as not to waste it. She says that the marching band “all realized [the covid situation was] not something that we wanted”, so the students should use their time effectively instead of taking it for granted.