Experiencing the Adirondacks

Image courtesy of Garnet Hill

Anushka Elavia, Staff Writer

Searching for a scenic family getaway during this unpleasant pandemic? If so, the Adirondacks are an ideal and beautiful destination for you. Located in Northern New York, only a few hours north of New York City, this scenic setting is home to over 2,000 miles of hiking trails, over 3,000 lakes and ponds, as well as 1,200 miles of rivers. Spanning across six million acres, the mountains are in fact, the largest protected natural area in the lower 48 of the United States. Whether your family enjoys biking, hiking, skiing, touring historic sights, or even whitewater rafting, the splendors of the Adirondacks extend to all family dynamics during all times of the year. 

During the summer months, your parents can tour vineyards and sip wine on a river cruise, while you and your siblings raft down Ausable Chasm or ride the Adirondack Carousel in Saranac Lake. In the winter, you may be interested in skiing at Whiteface Mountain, ice skating at the Olympic Oval, or hiking at High Falls Gorge. Perhaps you may want to explore the history of the Adirondacks in its many museums, or experience its wonderland of winter carnivals. Renowned for its abundance of naturistic sights, the Adirondacks’ diverse geography invites 12.4 million people annually who participate in its year-round recreational activities. Whether it is on the water, through the greenery of forests, or simply in the midst of the calming atmosphere, the Adirondacks hold a special place in the memories of everyone who visits. “The views were so beautiful, the town was very welcoming, and it was just an all-around enjoyable experience,” Emma Stark mentioned, a sophomore at West Morris Mendham High School who stayed in Lake Placid. 

The mountains are an appealing road trip destination, and for those who want to stay a few nights or weeks, there are over 250 hotels, resorts, and inns to choose from. Besides its charming attractions, the gastro-pubs, pizzerias, bistros, and cafes are irresistible to anyone with an appetite for some delicious food. Amongst the most popular family-friendly restaurants, Bistro LeRoux in Lake George, Lake Placid Pub and Brewery, and Jeb’s restaurant in Lowville rank the highest. Emma Stark reminisced on her time spent there, explaining how “the dining experiences paired with the multitude of shopping outlets made for an exciting family occasion.” With its rich history, priceless views, and limitless adventures, the Adirondacks embody an outdoor paradise.