How Gestures of Gratitude Can Touch The Hearts of Frontline Workers

Corinne LoVecchio, Staff Writer

*This is an opinion piece. Corinne LoVecchio is a senior at Mendham who writes for Arts & Entertainment. All opinions expressed in the following editorial are her own and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Patriot.*

During these difficult and unprecedented times, most of us have a social responsibility to help stop the spread of COVID-19 by staying home and practice social distancing when necessary. Although the obligation to adhere to these rules can be frustrating, we should consider ourselves privileged and fortunate to be able to live our lives in a manner that is protective to our own personal health. Doctors, nurses, and other medical workers, as well as grocery store employees, police, firefighters, postal workers, gas station attendants, public transportation workers, mental health and social services workers and various other “essential workers” are putting their own health at risk to ensure that the rest of us can stay safe and provide the necessities to stay healthy during the nerve wracking times of this global health crisis. On behalf of all their hard work and dedication, it is absolutely imperative that we express our gratitude and appreciation for these people.

Personally, I have been incredibly interested in learning about the duties and responsibilities of frontline workers during this crisis, and have been very thankful for the time I’ve spent facetiming my stepmother who is a nurse from Maryland. My stepmother, Mary, has been on duty countless times during this COVID-19 outbreak and says that these last two months being an essential worker in a hospital have been the most difficult shifts of her life. From being covered from head to toe for hours on end in protective gear and masks, to sometimes having a shortage of essential resources, to firsthand dealing with sick individuals, and in some cases, not seeing them win the battle. In a time like this, nurses need to be thanked and acknowledged for their bravery, patience, and all forms of sacrifices they have made. 

Mailing cards, creating posters, and even sending virtual messages of gratitude is something that everyone should do for all frontline workers. In fact, many school districts around the world, despite being virtual, have assigned students the task to write creative and colorful cards to frontline workers. An ESL (English as a second language) teacher named Heather Wetly who teaches at Wilson Vance in Findlay Ohio has 27 students from 10 different countries. She reports that during their weekly online class the students suggested writing letters of appreciation to healthcare workers and other individuals on the frontline. She says that “they just really wanted to thank the frontline workers for being brave and taking time away from their families and for keeping them safe”.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-ECkcWgtnc9jRVUh4f-EWPrPIDAOaI03

Wilson Vance letter photo- photo courtesy of Google

Another example is Isabella Morrison, a junior at Milpitas High School, who gladly took it upon herself to make cards to mail to the frontline workers. Her decision was heavily inspired by a video she stumbled across on Twitter, showing a frontline nurse sobbing in tears, exhausted from the influx of patients in her hospital. It was at that moment that Isabella realized that this pandemic was so much more than what she had seen on TV. Morrison says, “After seeing that and seeing how much it affects them, I also realized how many people I’ve heard say, ‘I wish there was more I could do to help, but I’m stuck at home.’”

However, her aspirations don’t stop there. After spreading the word and collecting dozens of letters created by individuals in her town, Morrison is hoping to gather all submissions and create a slideshow to send out to the workers– everyone from frontline doctors to CVS cashiers. She is also hoping to further involve herself in larger projects, such as “Coronacovery”– a student-run group that collects and delivers essential items such as masks and groceries to local residents. 

http://https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-B6OMHW33Xw67S9AgN5Z0E0dlTrFsHmW

Milpitas letter- photo courtesy of Google

The reality is that it doesn’t take a certain person to be thoroughly involved to leave an empowering impact during a trying time like this pandemic. Even while social isolation is being strongly enforced, that is not an excuse to simply sit back and not act upon the gratitude we have for our frontline. Whether it’s a simple note written by pen on a lined piece of paper, or an extravagant colorful poster made with artsy craft materials, our frontline workers will be so honored and appreciative to receive something so heartfelt and thoughtful.