Millennials are Here to Say One Thing: “Okay, Boomer.”

The “Okay, Boomer,” trend is destroying multigenerational relationships.

Image courtesy of Navi Shirt Co..

Annie Shafran, Staff Writer

In recent news, two words have been in every headline.“Okay, Boomer.” It became one of the most controversial internet phenomenons of recent times. This simple two-word phrase all started on popular video-making, social media app TikTok. It all began when an elderly man made a video stating that, “The millennials and Generation Z have the Peter Pan syndrome,” meaning that, “they don’t ever want to grow up.”

Quick to respond, teenagers started making videos using the phrase “Okay, Boomer.” It is used to respond to anything condescending people say towards modern ideals, typically people from an older generation (most born between 1946 to 1965). Due to both generations being raised on such different morals it seems nearly impossible for either generation to coexist peacefully. 

The boomers were raised by a much less opportunistic society than the millennials are today. Being raised by victims of the Great Depression, the older generation tends to believe that children should keep their heads down and be grateful for anything and everything. However, putting one’s head down and earning the right to have power and a voice does not make sense when looking at the world in which this newer generation was raised. It is a generation that has been empowered and encouraged by their parents; and, whose peers have created vast social media connections from only their smartphones though apps like YouTube and Instagram.

“The older generations grew up with a certain mindset, and we have a different perspective,” millennial Lilian O’Connor explained. “A lot of them don’t believe in climate change or don’t believe people can get jobs with dyed hair, and a lot of them are stubborn in that view.” The people who use “Okay, Boomer,” use it to agitate and incite the older generation. They like to get a ride out of them. The younger generation wants to make the other seem out of touch and old-school. 

As much tension as this simple phrase has caused, it has also helped many people financially. People have started to make merchandise revolving around it such as socks, signs, shirts, leggings, stickers, and water bottles.

The boomers feel as if the millennials are being disrespectful. Contrarily, millennials see it as comedic and entertaining

Even notebooks and greeting cards have been made along with many other random products. Nineteen-year-old Everett Solares started one of the main companies that supply and creates these products. She says that she will, “definitely use the money for my student loans, paying my rent. Stuff that will help me survive.” 

It appears that there is a miscommunication between the two generations. The boomers feel as if the millennials are being disrespectful. Contrarily, millennials see it as comedic and entertaining. “If [The boomers] do take it personally, it just further proves that they take everything we do as offensive. It’s just funnier,” says seventeen-year-old Saptarshi Biswas.

Julitza Mitchell, a college student says that the older generation should not be, “taking offense,” to the use of “Okay, Boomer,” and would just laugh it off. But, though this issue, more intense stereotypes have been created for both parties involved. Since people tend to favor others who are most like them, it is less likely that the older generation will side with the younger generation, and vice-versa.

The simple phrase, “Okay, Boomer,” just goes to prove that no matter what, it seems nearly impossible for two generations to live without conflict. The news has highlighted both sides of the argument. The boomers saying the millennials have taken things too far, and the millennials saying the boomers are overreacting. But, is anybody truly right?