Artist of the Week: Eli Foster, Musician and Student Director

Parker Abramson, Joelle Beck, and Hope Hanson

Eli Foster is in his last year here at Mendham. Eli is well-versed in many of the arts programs, such as music and theater. As a senior, this year he is the student director for the theater program. He is also involved in band, most notably playing the trombone in the Wind Ensemble and Jazz Ensemble, and singing in the various choirs such as Mendham Voices and the acapella groups Men In Black and Unaccompanied Minors.

Eli began playing the trombone as a freshman when he entered high school, however, he had been playing other instruments his entire life. In addition to playing the trombone, he also plays the piano, clarinet, bass clarinet, and French horn, all of which he learned before high school. Referencing band, Eli expressed, “It’s about having fun with my friends, that’s why I do band because I have so many friends in it, and it’s a fun thing to do and it brings us together.”                                                                                                                                                                                                  

As a reticent freshman, Eli was not involved in the theater program besides watching from the audience. When Eli was a sophomore, a friend, who happened to be the assistant student director that year, suggested Eli should apply as the assistant student director for his junior year. “I thought, ‘hey, it could be a fun thing to do, let’s see what happens’” and he decided to give it a shot. By that time, Eli had become involved in the theater program through stage crew and the musical pit.

Not surprisingly, Eli was selected to be the assistant student director his junior year and went on to become the student director this year. “I learned a lot from Adrianna and Mr. Braccino,” Eli remarked, referring to the student director and teacher-director from last year. He continues by saying that as the assistant student director he learned “how to give the directions, what’s a good idea versus what’s a not good idea,” and similar skills and philosophies.

This year, as the student director, Eli has a lot more freedom in what he can contribute, especially in collaboration with Mr. Barthel, the current teacher-director. “I’m able to really voice my ideas and direct people in a way that we see fit as a directing team.”

In regards to his time as a student director, Eli claims “that experience has actually been really great, it’s taught me a lot about leadership.” He has learned valuable skills from being a part of the Mendham theater program and even though  he doesn’t plan on pursuing music or theater as a career, he explained that “it’s definitely something I’d like to keep in my life.”

With the two productions selected this year that Eli has had the pleasure of directing, the fall play Macbeth, and the spring musical Chicago, Eli has truly gotten the best of both worlds as they are such different shows. Macbeth was “a little more serious just in the nature of the play, which was fun,” he remarks, contrasting the difference in the two shows. “But personally I’m having more fun with Chicago.”

Additionally, the productions were of different scales. As Macbeth had a smaller cast than Chicago, Eli explains that “in some respects, that was way easier in that there were less voices all at once. It’s easier to maintain a level of organization among a smaller group.” Conversely, one of the factors that makes Chicago a fun show is the larger cast. “There’s a lot of really good energy when we’re in the musical rehearsals because of that larger number of people.”

As a final point, one of the reasons Eli finds Chicago more fun is the change he is recognizing within himself. “I think that has to do with how I’ve been doing it a little bit longer and I’m more confident with myself and with my ideas.” As Eli becomes more confident as a student director and a leader, he is able to relax more and have a better time doing what he loves.

One of the reasons Eli is so attracted to band, chorus, and theater is because of the friends he has and the many friends he has made. “It’s a true group activity,” Eli remarks, further explaining that while everyone is important, the group becomes stronger together as a result of teamwork and cooperation. “I think that’s why I’ve made so many friends in this program, because everyone kind of has that understanding and so it really brings us closer.”

Photo courtesy of Eli Foster.