An Inside Look At Mendham’s Gender-Sexuality Alliance

%28Source%3AGoogle%29+

(Source:Google)

Josephine Piester, Freelancer Writer

As of late February 2021, Mendham High School is adding a brand new club to the plethora of others it offers. The new club is a GSA or Gender-Sexuality Alliance. Normally, A GSA would stand for Gay-Straight Alliance but the freshman co-founders changed the meaning to make the club more inclusive for everyone in and around the high school. One of the main goals of the club is to create a safe and welcoming environment for everyone to feel comfortable being themselves. Another main component of the club is to educate people about the LGBTQ+ community if they are not familiar with it or don’t have a lot of knowledge about it. 

Though having social events during Covid has proven difficult, the club is hoping to host a virtual movie night or virtual game night, this will allow members of the club to get to know one another in a fun way. In addition to this, the club is also hoping to implement more creative activities to both educate and allow students to express themselves. The GSA is close to thirty student and teacher members and is hoping to grow soon! 

I was able to interview the two freshman co-founders: Maddie Adinolfi and Amanda Stern. 

What will this club accomplish?

“The GSA will be something that people will feel comfortable with and they understand that it is first and foremost a group for safety and wellbeing for Allies and members of the LGBTQ+ where people come together to learn more about the LGBTQ+ community.”  -Maddie Adinolfi

“That we can create a safe space for anybody who doesn’t feel supported at home or other places, spread awareness of the LGBTQ+ and spread pride.” -Amanda Stern 

How is the club going so far and what are your plans for the future?

“We are about to have our first informational meeting next asynchronous Monday where we will talk about what the GSA will be doing, how interested everyone is, getting a basis to see if anyone else is interested in joining the club.”  -Maddie Adinolfi

“In the meeting, we are going to ask what other ideas people have and what they want this club to become.” -Amanda Stern 

What is so unique and different about this club in comparison to the other clubs at school? 

“It is not just informational like some of the other clubs at school, but it’s adding the support aspect which isn’t involved in all clubs, this will help benefit people who don’t feel safe or comfortable and we will try to make an active difference not just through talking but by actually doing things. “  -Maddie Adinolfi

“Not every club provides a safe space for everybody. Everybody is equal here and we are all supported by each other.” -Amanda Stern 

Lastly, What is one thing you want people to know about the club? 

“It’s open to not just members of the LGBTQ+ community, it is also open to allies, and for people where they live in an environment where it’s not seen as a good thing and they want to get more information.”   -Maddie Adinolfi

“This is a safe space for anyone who doesn’t feel supported.” -Amanda Stern