Running through Coronavirus

Coach Hamblen

Coach Hamblen

Tommy Kessler, Staff Writer

Last season was one of the best for the Boys Cross Country Team. Coach Hamblen led the team to an outstanding victory last year. Taking home trophies for the third season in a row, they had some of the best runners and times in the state. This year, the team had some returning runners such as Zach Hodges who is said to be one of the best runners in the state and who placed 11th last year in the championship. As well as a handful of freshmen looking to make an impact on the sport as well. 

This year has been a tough season for the team because of some restrictions from Covid-19 and graduating seniors such as Jack Jennings who came in 1st in 2019’s championship. Coach Hamblen said,” Hopefully we will be back to normal next year and have more competitions.”

With only 5 meets this season because of Coronavirus, Mendham came out 2-3 and hopes to show their full potential for the NJAC Championship. Coach Hamblem has pushed his runners hard to prepare for this championship and has been practicing almost every day after school through rain and wind in hopes of pulling out on top this year. The practices and all of the hard work paid off after Coach Hamblen and the team came home with fourth place out of 13 teams. Hopefully, their success will carry on next year and maybe even lead them to first in the following season.