Chester Environmental Commission: An Opportunity in Legislation and Nature

Every town has an environmental commission, including Mendham Borough, Township, and Chester. Many of these environmental commissions, notably the Chester Environmental Commission, provide an opportunity for high school students living in that town to be on the commission, volunteer their time, and provide their input on solving environmental issues.

The Chester Environmental Commission meets once a month and usually, the meetings are about one hour, but they can be longer or shorter depending on who is talking and leading during those meetings. Also, if the month has more events and volunteer opportunities, it will go for longer than those that do not.

A student member of the Chester Environmental Commission, Lindsey Ingrey, says, “the benefits of joining this council are that you get experience with government at the local level and the local legislative process. It’s interesting to see how these meetings are run.” Ingrey goes on to explain how most people tend not to think about local politics, even though they have a greater direct impact on people’s lives as opposed to federal or state politics.

“Beyond that,” she states, “you get to meet a lot of interesting people.” Ingrey says that most of the members of the council are extremely accomplished in their respective fields and dedicated to the environment. “They’re very kind and perceptive,” she adds.

Alongside the ability to meet people and to gain governmental experience, members of the council also are met with several opportunities to volunteers in support of the environment and to have an active voice in changing local policies. Ingrey explains, “as a student member, I can propose legislation that can be put to the council for a vote that can go to the mayor’s office, which is an interesting thing to think about especially because I’m a seventeen-year-old, I’m still in high school.” In that respect, the Environmental Commission provides an amazing opportunity for young people to become involved in local government.

To become a part of the Chester Environmental Commission, high schoolers need to submit a resume detailing their work experience, volunteering, and work with the environment. After their resume is approved, the council members vote on whether or not to accept the high schooler into the group. Young adults can join the commission at any point during the year, but your membership expires at the end of the year. You will not have to reapply, but the commission will probably vote for your reacceptance.

As for the responsibilities for student members of the council, Ingrey says that “for student members, you really don’t lead projects, or we haven’t yet, because it’s a relatively new thing. Every town in America has an environmental commission and by law, it can have student members and it should. So no matter where you live, you can get involved.” Although, currently, Ingrey and the other student member of the council do not have any projects they are meant to work on. Ingrey comments that “as we gain experience, we’ll probably take on tasks.”

Considering the governmental experience, volunteers opportunities, and involvement with the environment that comes with being a member of the Environmental Commission, this is an amazing opportunity for many high school students, from those considering a career in politics to those who simply want to have a hand in bettering the local environment.

Photo courtesy of Chester Trails.