How Should Gym Class Be Handled For Athletes

“Gym classes provide students with physical exercise on a consistent basis. It is particularly important for the physical well-being of children who do not engage in physical activities outside of school… The physical exertion also helps the mind, as children will find they are able to think more clearly and are able to focus better in other classes following a physical education period” (Livestrong.com). Gym class attracts many different kinds of reactions from students across the nation. Many dread their designated fifty minutes of exercise for the day and others enjoy going 150% during badminton. Many people who participate in after-school sports are complaining though about having to do gym in season. These athletes spend up to three hours after school putting a toll on their bodies doing their sports. This leads some athletes to be frustrated when they are forced to spend an extra hour exercising when they already do so much. Another thing many athletes struggle with is keeping up with all the schoolwork they are assigned. Honors students can get up to three hours of homework a night even while working on it during their one study hall period. This with the 2 plus hours of sports after school leaves the athletes with no time to do anything other than work, sports, and sleep. This can take not only a physical but also a mental toll on these student-athletes.

Some schools began to try and take action on this issue. A popular idea that has been spreading throughout the country is replacing in-season athletes’ gym class with an extra study hall. With a second study hall period added to the day, athletes can get close to two hours of in school time to do assigned after-school work. This can make a huge difference in the day because it can almost completely eliminate somebody’s homework. This way once athletes finish their 12 plus hour day of sports and school they can get home and just relax.  

An example of this in a school not too far from here. Kent Place, a private all-girls school about an hour from here, has a policy where if they do an after-school sport, one related to the school, of course, can be exempted from gym. This period of the day would be replaced by a study hall. A senior who attends this school tells me that she gets a ton of work there and that the extra study hall really helps take down that tough workload. This way, she is able to enjoy the sports she loves and is still able to complete all her work without any issues at all.

It is not as simple as it may seem though. A counter argument often made against this is that it would take away from the gym class. Those who enjoy athletics enough to do it in there free time are often the ones who go the hardest during gym. This makes the whole gym class much more competitive and the whole atmosphere becomes better.

This topic would not be completed without an opinion from West Morris Mendham High School’s own gym teacher. Mr. Ressler kindly volunteered to answer our questions and give his stance on this matter. Obviously, Mr. Ressler sided with: athletes should not be exempted from gym. Though this is most likely biased considering he is a gym teacher, an opinion is an opinion. Mr. Ressler informs us that gym isn’t just about exercise, it’s more than that. He explains a lot about the benefits of gym class, but the one that stuck out to me was when he told me that it’s actually more about the social aspect. In other words, it’s about making new friends or just socializing and work with others that you would not usually do before. Furthermore, he then justifies his point by explaining how its good to learn and get better at other sports that you don’t do all year round or even for just a season. An example of this is, if someone plays soccer for the school and is exempted from gym then they will miss out on learning how to play a sport like basketball or badminton, or any other unit of sports that the gym class was teaching at the time of the year. It’s clear that most students will obviously side with the “replace gym for study hall” so it is good to hear from a gym teacher who knows what they are talking about.

Another argument that can be made for gym class is how it affects the student’s health mentally. Everybody knows exercise is good for your body, but what does it do to the student’s psyche. “The physical exertion involved in gym class results in endorphin production in the brain. Endorphins are the “feel good” hormones that improve mood and outlook. Children who engage in robust gym classes benefit from the release of endorphins. The physical activity becomes fun. The endorphins’ effects allow kids to go to their next classes feeling cheerful, relaxed and ready to focus on learning new ideas.” (Livestrong.com)
This whole argument boils down to whether the benefits of an extra time slot for athletes would do them more good or bad. On the plus side, they would gain more time to get there work done and have time to relax when they finish there long days. Also, getting taken out of gym class would reduce the risk of an unwanted injury to the athlete that can not only affect them but also the team they are on. Not to mention most student-athletes are already in good shape and do not need the added exercise. However, like Mr. Ressler said gym class is a social thing. Many people look forward to gym as a place to relax and do whatever activity they are assigned. This along with all the proven physical and mental benefits means that the pro-gym side has a strong argument. No matter what the students or gym teachers think, It is up to the board of education and Mr. Ryan to decide.