The Trump Insurrection

Image courtesy of Huffpost.com

Ana Clara Monaco, School and Global News Editor

This is an opinion article piece. Ana Clara Monaco is a sophomore at Mendham who writes for School and Global News. All opinions expressed in the following editorial are her own and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Patriot. 

“These Anarchists, not protesters, are Biden voters, but he has no control and nothing to say. Disgraceful. Never seen anything like it. Thugs!” This statement was released by President Donald Trump on September 8 in response to ongoing Black Lives Matter protests, the majority of which were overwhelmingly peaceful demonstrations of national unity. Four months later, on January 7, pro-Trump mobs attacked the very essence of American democracy, invading the Capitol building by force in an attempt to delay and overturn the certification of the 2020 election. Defacing government property and the American name on international television, these deluded domestic terrorists were acting upon the baseless claim of election fraud and the President’s own instructions to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue and engage in a trial by combat. In response to the chaos and terror instigated by the nation’s own leader, Trump delivered a different message to the anarchists: “We love you. You’re very special… I know how you feel”.

Sending politicians into hiding and vandalizing the offices of public officials, these men and women donned in MAGA hats and waving the traitorous Confederate flag among the sacred halls of democracy represent the extremes of white supremacy and organized violence, awaking a disgusted response in Democrats and Republicans alike. Mike Pence condemned the attackers following the reinstatement of order, saying “…you did not win. Violence never wins. Freedom wins. And this is still the people’s house”. Mitch McConnel denounced their actions as a failed attempt to disturb and derail democracy. Senator Mitt Romney stated, “What happened here today was an insurrection incited by the president of the United States.” The reaction was overwhelmingly, and thankfully, what should be expected: embarrassment for the country and horror at the lengths to which the President has instilled division. Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House, has threatened to begin a second impeachment trial if the Vice President fails to employ the 25th amendment, discharging Trump of his duties due to his evident incompetence. Videos of the occurrence have surfaced, displaying the crowds scaling the walls and posing for pictures, mask-less and careless with their identities, obviously under the impression that their disgraceful actions would be applauded by their President as a display of patriotic defense against the fraud and shame of the Democratic party. This notion was slightly deluded, but not extremely far from the truth. Initially, the President hesitated to put forth a message to his rioters and eventually succumbed to the pressure of national chaos to politely ask them to return home and respect law enforcement. Facing criticism for this grade-school reprimanding, he fully chastised the event and attempted to play the role of savior, assuring the public that he had immediately deployed the National Guard. Yet new headlines contradict, stating that the President was hesitant to provide backup to the police and that it was indeed Pence who took action against the raid. As has become a pattern throughout his presidency, Trump once again downplayed the situation and avoided blame at all costs– as he did in his not-so-gracious acceptance of defeat, his denial of previous sexual statements towards young women, his elusion regarding an illustrious history of tax evasion, his attempted digs at Hunter Biden, his knowledge of the Russian interference in the 2016 election, his countless racist comments and actions throughout the entirety of his four years. Yet every single American, and likely the majority of the world, watched with horror as Trump’s supporters proudly embodied every sentiment and intention that this country is not: hate, violence, division. The President has singlehandedly demonstrated the weakness of American democracy, laying dormant in the polarization of politics and the insurrection of an ignorant and blindly-loyal population.