4 Overreactions To The First Week of College Basketball

Marty Mahoney

Last March the college basketball season ended due to the outbreak of Covid-19 in the country. There were no conference championship games, no final four games, and most importantly no national champion, but a little over half a year later college basketball is back (with covid regulations of course). Many big-time games were played this weekend and many top teams fell. Here are my four overreactions from this weekend.

1. Josh Christopher is the best freshman in college basketball

Josh Christoper, a freshman guard for Arizona State, played like a veteran college basketball player this past week. Josh Christopher led Arizona St. to a 2-1 record while averaging 18.7 points per game on great efficiency, shooting 57% from the field. While playing Christopher showed an elite ability to score off the dribble from three and mid-range, and also showed that he is a great athlete with a few jaw-dropping dunks. The best performance of the weekend was in a loss to #3 Villanova where he scored 28 points, which is shocking for a freshman in his second game to put on a scoring clinic like that. In my opinion, Christopher’s scoring ability will continue to impress and he will by the end of the season be the best freshman in college basketball.

2.Gonzaga is the best team in college basketball

Gonzaga had an incredible weekend going 2-0 with a win over #6 ranked Kansas by double digits. Gonzaga was ranked #1 headed into the season and they proved why this weekend. Gonzaga has an incredible three-headed monster with Jalen Suggs, Drew Timme, and Corey Kispert, all three have the ability to score 20 points with ease. Gonzaga proved that they did not just have talent against Michigan State they had a national championship contender.

3.Villanova should not have dropped from #3 in the AP poll to #12

Villanova had a pretty successful weekend going 2-1 and beating a ranked Arizona State team and Boston College, and a close overtime loss to Virginia Tech. Villanova did not look the best this weekend with veteran players like Collin Gillespie not looking as good as some may have expected. They should not have dropped nine spots for an overtime loss against a solid Virginia Tech team. Not only did they lose a close game and got dropped in the poll by a lot they lost their 3rd game in four days. A team should not be punished for playing great competition and losing just one of those games in 4 days.

4.Ayo Dosunmu is the best player in college basketball

Ayo Dosunmu, a junior for a point guard for Illinois, in three games this weekend scored 25.7 ppg and had 6.7 assists. Ayo did not play the best competition but his team went undefeated and he showed his abilities, which are fascinating. Ayo was a great player last year but you can tell this season he has taken a great step forward and is looking like the best guard in the country easily, but also is making a case to be the best team in the nation.