Where Are The Last Ten Number one High School Quarterbacks Now

Marty Mahoney, Sports Writer

Rankings in high school can be a hit or a miss, players that are ranked highly can be less successful than originally predicted or players who don’t even get ranked can become stars in the NFL. That is the case for most quarterbacks, some succeed and go on to have great NFL careers while some can’t even get a starting spot in college. In this article, I will explain what happened to the last ten number one high school quarterbacks, ranked by 247 Sports.

2020: Bryce Young

Bryce Young fresh out of Mater Dei High School in California was the number two player in all of high school football and number one quarterback.  After revoking his commitment to USC Bryce committed to Alabama where as a freshman he is the backup to Mac Jones.

2019: Spencer Rattler

Spencer Rattler attended Pinnacle High School in Arizona where he starred as a quarterback.  He was such a good player that he was featured on the Netflix show, QB 1 Beyond The Lights,  where he looked good as a player but not so much character-wise as he was suspended from the team by the end of the season. Spencer is now the starter at Oklahoma as a sophomore. Spencer has not looked too great as Oklahoma has struggled so far going 2-2 in the first four games, the worst start for Oklahoma in a while.

2018: Trevor Lawrence

Trevor Lawrence as a high school student was the number one player in the nation and so far in college at Clemson he proved that ranking to be just right. Trevor won the national championship as a true freshman and then lost it to LSU last year. Trevor is now the front runner for the Heisman this season and currently the number prospect in the NFL draft.

2017:  Davis Mills

Davis Mills was the 15th best player in his class and committed to Stanford. At Stanford, he has not proven his ranking to be too accurate as he has been the backup until last year when he stepped for K.J. Costello who got hurt. When Davis stepped in he was average, throwing 11 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. Not all hope is lost as he goes into the 2020 season as the starting quarterback for Stanford but right now he is not looking like the number one quarterback in his class.

Davis Mills

2016: Shea Patterson

Shea Patterson out of IMG Academy was the number four player in his class. Shea committed to Ole Miss where he had some success but after High Freeze was fired he transferred to Michigan. At Michigan, he was just an average quarterback for a top 25 team. Shea entered the 2020 draft and was undrafted then signed by the Chiefs and then was cut by them.

2015: Josh Rosen 

Josh Rosen was the number eleven player in his class and went to UCLA and was the starter for three years. He played well enough there to be drafted at the tenth pick in the 2018 draft by the Cardinals. But after that his career went downhill he started for the Cardinals then was traded to the Dolphins where he was cut. Now he is a backup for Tom Brady on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Josh Rosen

2014: Kyle Allen

Kyle Allen was the number eight player in his class and went to Texas A and M wherein 2015 he was the starter. In 2015, Allen played Alabama where he struggled big time and was benched and replaced by Kyler Murray. After the season, he announced he would transfer to the University of Houston. Allen started in 2017 but was benched again. After the season he declared for the draft and was signed to the Panthers as an undrafted free agent. In Carolina, Allen started a few games last year for the injured Cam Newton. He is now the starting quarterback for the Washington Football Team.

2013: Max Browne

Max Browne was the number eleven quarterback in his class and then committed to play at USC. At USC he was a backup until 2016, where he finally got the job, but after a blowout loss to Alabama, he lost his job to Sam Darnold. He then transferred to Pittsburg and was named the starter, but after a 1-2 start, he was benched again. Then he was given another chance to start but hurt his shoulder and was out for the season. After that, he was both signed by an NFL team and is now a sports analyst for USC on a radio station.

Max Browne

2012: Jameis Winston

Jameis Winston was the 16th player in his class and committed to Florida State. At Florida State, he redshirted his freshman year. Then took over the team as a sophomore where he won the Heisman and a national championship. The next year he led FSU to the College Football Playoff where they were blown out by Oregon. After that season he declared for the draft and was picked number one overall in 2015 by Tampa Bay. At Tampa Bay, he had his ups and downs but just was not the quarterback people thought he would be. He is now a backup for the Saints.

2011: Jeff Driskel

Jeff Driskel was the 17th ranked player in his class and committed to Florida. Jeff Driskel started in Florida and had some success but got hurt a lot and eventually lost his job.  He then transferred and played one season at Louisiana Tech and threw for 4,000 yards and 27 touchdowns. Driskel was drafted in the sixth round to the 49ers. Driskell has bounced around a few teams in the NFL including the Bengals, Lions, and Broncos.