The Bathroom Debate

Image courtesy of dreamstime.com

Image courtesy of dreamstime.com

Ryan Nelson, Staff Writer

This is an opinion article piece. Ryan Nelson is a sophomore at Mendham who writes for Arts & Entertainment. All opinions expressed in the following editorial are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Patriot. 

For the majority of Americans, using the bathroom in public is a task that doesn’t require much thought. However, for transgender (trans) and nonbinary citizens, that simple task has now turned into a civil rights battleground. “Transgender” is an umbrella term used to describe anyone whose gender does not match their biological sex, including trans men, trans women, and nonbinary people. Over the past few years, many cities have passed ordinances or laws either forcing trans people to use the bathroom that matches their birth sex or allows them to use the one that corresponds with their gender identity. This argument may seem insignificant, but this decision will help establish a precedent for the way trans people, and the LGBT+ as a whole, are treated in the future. However, the solution to this argument is shockingly clear: the country needs to allow trans people to use the bathroom that aligns with their gender identity.

For one, it’s safer for trans people to use the bathrooms that align with their gender, not sex. In schools where trans people who were forced to use the facilities that matched their birth sex, these students experienced more sexual assault and harassment than their cisgender peers (those whose gender and biological sex are the same)- approximately twice as much as cis females and nine times as much as cis males (CNN). Additionally, it just doesn’t make sense to force someone who looks male to use the women’s bathroom, and vice-versa. Most trans people do not present as their biological sex, and instead present as the gender they identify more with. Making someone who outwardly appears like the opposite gender use the bathroom that matches their sex is incredibly unsafe for that person. Seeing someone who looks like a cis man in the women’s bathroom would undoubtedly cause confusion and possibly even violence. Allowing trans people to use the bathroom they identify more with is the safest option for all parties involved.

Additionally, trans people using the bathroom they identify most with does not lead to higher sexual assault or criminal cases against cisgender people. The main argument against trans people using the bathroom that aligns more with their gender is that trans people will sexually harass or assault others in the bathroom. However, this claim is just simply veiled transphobia. It was first made by conservatives in Houston simply to stop a bill that would allow trans people to use the bathroom matching their gender (Vox). Additionally, police officers in cities that allow trans people to use the bathrooms they are most comfortable have not reported any rise in crime; most agree that the claim is foolish. Officials in schools that allow trans people to use the bathroom they prefer across twelve states also reported no rise in crime (Trans Equality). Frankly, there is no real “counter-argument” to not letting trans people use the bathroom they feel most comfortable in- only false accusations based on transphobia.

Trans people also feel more comfortable using the bathrooms that match the gender they identify with. Gender dysphoria, a serious struggle faced by a majority of trans people, is discomfort with one’s biological sex, which can have a large emotional impact and even lead to depression and/or thoughts of suicide (Vox). Allowing trans people to use the bathroom they identify more with will help relieve dysphoria in a major way, and removes the discomfort of being forced to use the bathroom that matches their biological sex.

As someone who deals with gender dysphoria, being forced to use a bathroom that matches my sex causes problems both for me and others. I feel incredibly uncomfortable in the women’s bathroom since I present fairly masculine, and I get strange looks and glares. I have even had a stranger approach me and my younger sister to ask invasive questions about my gender and sex. This happened in New Jersey, which is relatively liberal and accepting compared to other areas of the country. When I’ve driven to states like North Carolina or Georgia with my family, I was forced to present as a woman just so I could use the bathroom without getting questioned. Being forced to present as a woman simply so I can go to the bathroom feels so smothering and wrong. It makes me feel like I’m not allowed to be true to myself. Forcing trans people to use the bathroom that correlates with their biological sex leads to copious amounts of discomfort that are easy to avoid. 

Therefore, it’s obvious that allowing trans people to use the bathroom that correlates with their gender identity is the safest and smartest decision for all parties involved. Now, it falls in the hands of cis people to help make trans people feel more comfortable and safe in the bathrooms they use. If you see someone who “doesn’t look” like they’re supposed to be in a certain bathroom, please leave them alone. Their identity is none of your business, and you have no right to judge them. If you’re with a trans friend and they get questioned or harassed in the bathroom, stand up for them and protect them as much as you can. I’ve spent hours worrying about going to the bathroom and feeling unsafe while using it, and other trans people have too. So, help us as much as you can.