New York City’s own Citi Field is Greeted with Rap Festival Rolling Loud

Kiril Hadjipetkov, Staff Writer

This year, on October 12th and 13th, world-famous hip-hop festival Rolling Loud stormed New York City’s Citi Field, bringing in thousands of fans from all over. The event featured a star-studded lineup with acts such as superstars Young Thug, Travis Scott, Playboi Carti, and even Wu-Tang Clan. One of the most famous aspects of this festival was the crowd section. The two-day event turned into one long party, full of rowdiness and chaos.

Consequently, multiple students from Mendham attended this event, experiencing the full-on craziness that Rolling Loud 2019 had to offer. Among this handful of people is senior Mike Braurman, who went for both days, enjoying the concerts to their fullest extent. According to Braurman, the best act was Playboi Carti because “he had a crazy mosh.” Surprisingly, the famous rapper did not play any unreleased music from his highly-anticipated album “Whole Lotta Red,” but Braurman stated, “it was all songs he had before but they were all clappers in person.” On the other hand, Brauman was disappointed with superstar Travis Scott’s performance due to it being underwhelming compared to the last time he saw Scott live but then added in that it was understandable as the rapper actually dislocated his knee during his set. When performing his hit song “Butterfly Effect,” Scott was jumping up and down and landed on his right knee in a strange way, causing it to give out. However, the rapper continued to perform in the concert, limping his way through the set.

As solely a rap festival, Braurman compared Rolling Loud to Governors Ball Festival, which he attended last year, highlighting the differences between RL and the mix of EDM, pop-rock, and mild rap that Gov Ball housed. He reflected on the crowds being a lot crazier at Rolling Loud in terms of mosh pits and overall energy, and also brought up the different environments at the two festivals. Gov Ball was hosted on an island while Rolling Loud was at Citi Field.

Student Alex Gentile also attended the festival, and he had a great time. Opposite to Braurman’s beliefs, Gentile’s favorite act was Travis Scott. He said it was because he enjoys Scott’s music and it was great seeing these beloved songs live in the flesh of the star himself. On the other hand, he stated that his least favorite act was Lil Pump.

“Pump was definitely the least hype but I would even say I had a good time there.”

— Alex Gentile

“Pump was definitely the least hype but I would even say I had a good time there.” Following this remark, Braurman chirped “you didn’t even see Pump” to his dismay. Reflecting on the allegations that Gentile did not, in fact, attend the second day of Rolling Loud, he stammered at a response, unable to defend this truth. It is apparent Gentile regrets missing Sunday.

One of the most prominent aspects of Rolling Loud would probably have been its lineup, as it had every single artist that a hip-hop fan would want to see. With Meek Mill, YG, A$AP Rocky, Lil Uzi Vert, Tyga, DaBaby, Sheck Wes, and so many others, this festival literally had every trending rapper, complete with massive stages, spectacular lights, stage fire/fog, food, and drinks. As a result, Rolling Loud 2019 turned out to be a huge success.