If You Were Principal for a Day…?

Maddy Eisenhardt and Makenna Castoro

While sitting in class, many students fantasize what it would be like to be in charge of the entire school.  When asked, “If you were principal for a day what would you change?” students came up with many interesting ideas. Due to the new policies instituted at Mendham this year, many students responded with similar wishes. One of the most popular answers was the ability to leave the classroom with your cell phone. This rule sparked a lot of controversy amongst the students, so it was not a surprise that students felt this way. Kids are so used to having their phones with them at all time, the cell phone policy is a mere inconvenience. Other popular answers were the revoking of the new one earbud rule, and the no hood rule. A response that was quite out of the ordinary, but much needed, “Oh! I would make a room for naps.”  Something else that came up was the idea for half day Wednesdays or sleep in days. Students at Mendham are always complaining of lack of sleep so, sleep-ins would be very popular for the many sleep deprived kids. Another out of the box idea also helps students to get the proper amount of sleep. A nap room/class would allow students to have a free period dedicated to nothing but naps. While this article is leaned towards imagination, change can really happen in the school environment when the effort is put in!